Publicaciones científicas

Histological outcome of chronic hepatitis C treated with a 12-month course of lymphoblastoid alfa interferon

de Alava E, Camps J, Pardo-Mindán J, García-Granero M, Muñoz M, Sola J, Civeira MP, Contreras F, Vázquez JJ, Castilla A, et al.
Department of Pathology, Clínica Universitaria de Navarra, Facultad de Medicina, Pamplona, Spain.

Revista: Liver

Fecha: 01-abr-1993

Digestivo Hepatología Anatomía Patológica

To assess the effect of long-term alfa interferon therapy (12 months) on liver histology of chronic hepatitis C, we studied 61 treated patients, and compared their outcome with 28 untreated cases followed as controls.

A liver biopsy was taken from all patients, before (month 0) and after the completion of the treatment or the control period (month 12). A third liver specimen taken at month 24 was available in 29 treated cases. Liver biopsies were blindly graded following Knodell's method. In 33 out of the 61 treated patients (54.1%), aminotransferase levels became normal shortly after starting therapy and remained within normal values until the end of treatment (sustained response). Nine (27%) sustained responders relapsed after interferon discontinuation, while the remaining 24 (73%) continued with normal aminotransferase values during follow-up (16.8 +/- 9.9 months). All histological parameters, except fibrosis, improved significantly after 12 months of therapy (periportal necrosis, month 0: 2.7 +/- 1.0, month 12: 1.6 +/- 1.1, p < 0.0001; lobular damage, month 0: 2.5 +/- 1.1, month 12: 1.4 +/- 0.9, p < 0.0001; portal inflammation, month 0: 3.6 +/- 0.5, month 12: 3.0 +/- 0.9, p < 0.0001). Histological improvement was especially marked in patients who did not relapse, although those who relapsed and partial responders also improved. Overall histological diagnoses improved in most patients.

A sustained response to interferon was predicted by high periportal and lobular scores, and by a low fibrosis score on the pretreatment liver biopsy. At 24 months, histological improvement persisted in patients without posttreatment relapse, while liver inflammation had returned to pretreatment levels in the remaining cases.

CITA DEL ARTÍCULO  Liver. 1993 Apr;13(2):73-9



La Clínica es el hospital privado con mayor dotación tecnológica de España, todo en un único centro.

Imagen de un PET, tecnología de vanguardia en la Clínica Universidad de Navarra


Los profesionales de la Clínica realizan una labor continuada de investigación y formación, siempre en beneficio del paciente.

Imagen profesionales de la Clínica Universidad de Navarra


Conozca por qué somos diferentes a otros centros sanitarios. Calidad, rapidez, comodidad y resultados.

Imagen del edificio de la Clínica Universidad de Navarra