HIPEC: HOPE or HYPE in the fight against advanced ovarian cancer?
Fotopoulou C (1,2), Sehouli J (2), Mahner S (3), Harter P (4), Van Nieuwenhuysen E (5), Gonzalez-Martin A (6), Vergote I (5), Chiva L (7), du Bois A (4).
(1) Department of Surgery and Cancer, Gynecologic Oncology. Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College London, UK.
(2) Department of Gynecology, Charité Medical University of Berlin, Germany and North-Eastern German Society of Gynaecologic Oncology (NOGGO) Ovarian Cancer Study Group and Arbeitsgemeinschaft Gynaekologische Onkologie (AGO) Study Group Germany.
(3) Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich and AGO Study Group, Germany.
(4) Department of Gynecology, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Essen and AGO Study Group, Germany.
(5) University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven and BGOG, Belgium, European Union.
(6) Department of Medical Oncology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Madrid, and GEICO Study Group, Spain.
(7) Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Madrid, and GEICO Study Group, Spain.
Revista: Annals of Oncology
Fecha: 04-jun-2018Ginecología y Obstetricia Oncología Médica
Undergoing an era of revolutionary new knowledge and advances in the systemic and surgical treatment of peritoneally disseminated epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC), we never before have been confronted with such a plethora of novel targeted agents, genetically based treatment strategies and cutting edge surgical techniques that enrich our armamentarium in the fight against this deadly disease (1-3). Still, our art as clinicians is to put all this new body of knowledge into the right context so that we can help our patients without compromising their care through an enthusiastic effort of implementing new therapeutic approaches that are not yet sufficiently validated or confirmed.
A characteristic example of such an enthusiastic endeavor is the incorporation of hyperthermic-intraperitoneal-chemotherapy (HIPEC) in the multimodal treatment concept of advanced EOC. It has already been implemented since years without any acceptable level of evidence from a controlled randomized trial. Has this gap now been closed and is HIPEC
ready for prime time?
CITA DEL ARTÍCULO Ann Oncol. 2018 Jun 4. doi: 0.1093/annonc/mdy198
tal vezLE INTERESE
La Clínica es el hospital privado con mayor dotación tecnológica de España, todo en un único centro.
Los profesionales de la Clínica realizan una labor continuada de investigación y formación, siempre en beneficio del paciente.
Conozca por qué somos diferentes a otros centros sanitarios. Calidad, rapidez, comodidad y resultados.