Novel clinical and molecular findings in Spanish patients with Nevoid Basal Cell Carcinoma Syndrome
Alonso N (1,2), Cañueto J (3,4), Ciria S (1), Bueno E (1,4), Palacios-Alvarez I (5), Alegre M (6), Badenas C (7,8,9), Barreiro A (10), Pena L (11), Maldonado C (12), Nespeira-Jato MV (13), Peña-Penabad C (13), Azon A (14), Gavrilova M (15), Ferrer I (16), Sanmartin O (17), Robles L (18), Hernandez A 19, Urioste M (11), Puig S (8,9,10), Puig L (6), Gonzalez-Sarmiento R (1,4).
(1) Molecular Medicine Unit-Department of Medicine, University of Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain.
(2) Rheumatology and Bone Disease Unit, Centre for Genomic and Experimental Medicine, MRC Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh. Edinburgh, UK.
(3) Department of Dermatology, Salamanca University Hospital. Salamanca, Spain.
(4) Biomedical Research Institute of Salamanca (IBSAL) and Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology of Cancer (IBMCC),, University Hospital of Salamanca, University of Salamanca-CSIC. Salamanca, Spain.
(5) Dermatology Service, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(6) Departament of Dermatology, Hospital Santa Creu i San Pau, Barcelona, Spain.
(7) Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, Melanoma Unit, Hospital Clinic i Provincial, Barcelona, Spain.
(8) Institut de Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain.
(9) Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Enfermedades Raras, Barcelona, Spain.
(10) Departament of Dermatology, Melanoma Unit, Hospital Clinic i Provincial, Barcelona, Spain.
(11) Familial Cancer Clinical Unit, Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO).
(12) Department of Dermatology, Hospital Central de Asturias, Oviedo, Spain.
(13) Departament of Dermatology. Hospital, Universitario de La Coruña, La Coruña, Spain.
(14) Department of Dermatology. Hospital, San Joan de Reus, Reus, Spain.
(15) Departament of Dermatology. Hospital Clínico de Valencia, Valencia, Spain.
(16) Department of Dermatology, Hospital General Universitario de Valencia, Valencia, Spain.
(17) Department of Dermatology, Instituto Valenciano de Oncología, Valencia, Spain.
(18) Hereditary Cancer Unit, Hospital 12 de Octubre. Madrid, Spain.
(19) Department of Dermatology, Hospital del Niño Jesús. Madrid, Spain.
Revisão:The British Journal of Dermatology
Nevoid Basal Cell Carcinoma Syndrome (NBCCS) is an autosomal dominant disorder characterised by developmental alterations and multiple basal cell carcinomas.
Mutations in PTCH1, a membrane receptor for Sonic Hedgehog, are associated with the development of the disease.
Most of them produce a truncated protein which is unable to supress Smoothened protein and continuously activates the downstream pathway
We aimed to characterize 22 unrelated Spanish subjects with NBCCS, the largest cohort of Gorlin syndrome reported to date in Spain
METHODS AND RESULTS:
We reported for the first time two young patients with uterus didelphys and ganglioneuroma, within the context of NBCCS. One patient showing a severe phenotype of the disease developed basal cell carcinomas since the childhood.
Sanger sequencing of PTCH1 gene in this cohort identified 17 novel truncating mutations (11 frameshift, 5 nonsense and one mutation affecting an exon-intron splicing site) and 2 novel missense mutations that were predicted to be pathogenic.
Patients showed a great clinical variability and inconsistent genotype-phenotype correlation, as seen in relatives carrying similar mutations
This study contributes to increase the pool of clinical manifestations of the NBCCS, as well as increasing the number of pathogenic mutations identified in PTCH1 predisposing to the condition.
The inconsistencies found between phenotype and genotype suggest the involvement of other modifying genetic/epigenetic or environmental.
CITAÇÃO DO ARTIGO Br J Dermatol. 2017 Jul 22. doi: 10.1111/bjd.15835
A Clínica é o hospital privado com maiores recursos tecnológicos de Espanha, tudo num único centro.
Os profissionais da Clínica realizam um trabalho contínuo de investigação e formação, sempre em benefício do paciente.
Conheça porque é que somos diferentes em relação a outros centros sanitários. Qualidade, rapidez, comodidade e resultados.