Targeted disruption of the iNOS gene improves adipose tissue inflammation and fibrosis in leptin-deficient ob/ob mice: role of tenascin C
Becerril S (1,2,3), Rodríguez A (1,2,3), Catalán V (1,2,3), Méndez-Giménez L (1,2,3), Ramírez B (1,2,3), Sáinz N (1), Llorente M (4), Unamuno X (1,4), Gómez-Ambrosi J (1,2,3), Frühbeck G (5,6,7,8).
(1) Metabolic Research Laboratory, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(2) CIBER Fisiopatología de la Obesidad y Nutrición, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain.
(3) Obesity and Adipobiology Group, Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria de Navarra (IdiSNA), Pamplona, Spain.
(4) Medical Engineering Laboratory, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(5) Metabolic Research Laboratory, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(6) CIBER Fisiopatología de la Obesidad y Nutrición, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain.
(7) Obesity and Adipobiology Group, Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria de Navarra (IdiSNA), Pamplona, Spain.
(8) Department of Endocrinology & Nutrition, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
Revisão:International Journal of Obesity
Data: 15/Fev/2018Área de Obesidade Endocrinologia e Nutrição [ES]
Obesity is related to a dynamic extracellular matrix (ECM) remodeling, which involves the synthesis and degradation of different proteins, such as tenascin C (TNC) in the adipose tissue (AT).
Given the functional relationship between leptin and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), our aim was to analyze the impact of the absence of the iNOS gene in AT inflammation and ECM remodeling in ob/ob mice.
The expression of genes involved in inflammation and ECM remodeling was evaluated in 10-week-old male double knockout (DBKO) mice simultaneously lacking the ob and iNOS genes as well as in ob/ob mice classified into three groups [control, leptin-treated (1 mg kg-1 day-1) and pair-fed].
Leptin deficiency increased inflammation and fibrosis in AT. As expected, leptin treatment improved the obesity phenotype. iNOS deficiency in ob/ob mice improved insulin sensitivity, AT inflammation, and ECM remodeling, as evidenced by lower AT macrophage infiltration and collagen deposition, a downregulation of proinflammatory and profibrogenic genes Tnf, Emr1, Hif1a, Col6a1, Col6a3, and Tnc, as well as lower circulating TNC levels. Interestingly, leptin upregulated TNC expression and release in 3T3-L1 adipocytes, and iNOS knockdown in 3T3-L1 fat cells produced a significant decrease in basal and leptin-induced Tnc expression.
Ablation of iNOS in leptin-deficient mice improved AT inflammation and ECM remodeling-related genes, attenuating fibrosis, and metabolic dysfunction. The activation of iNOS by leptin is necessary for the synthesis and secretion of TNC in adipocytes, suggesting an important role of this alarmin in the development of AT inflammation and fibrosis.
CITAÇÃO DO ARTIGO Int J Obes (Lond). 2018 Feb 15. doi: 10.1038/s41366-018-0005-5
A Clínica é o hospital privado com maiores recursos tecnológicos de Espanha, tudo num único centro.
Os profissionais da Clínica realizam um trabalho contínuo de investigação e formação, sempre em benefício do paciente.
Conheça porque é que somos diferentes em relação a outros centros sanitários. Qualidade, rapidez, comodidade e resultados.