Development and evaluation of an audiology app for iPhone/iPad mobile devices
Larrosa F (1), Rama-Lopez J (2), Benitez J (3), Morales JM (4), Martinez A (4), Alañon MA (4), Arancibia-Tagle D (2), Batuecas-Caletrio A (5), Martinez-Lopez M (6), Perez-Fernandez N (6), Gimeno C (7), Ispizua A (8), Urrutikoetxea A (9), Rey-Martinez J (10).
(1) Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital Alt Penedes , Barcelona, Spain.
(2) Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital Universitario Son Espases , Palma de Mallorca, Spain.
(3) Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital Universitario de Gran Canaria Dr. Negrín , Las Palmas, Spain.
(4) Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital General Universitario Ciudad Real , Ciudad Real, Spain.
(5) Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital Universitario de Salamanca, IBSAL , Salamanca, Spain.
()6 Department of Otolaryngology, Clinica Universidad de Navarra , Pamplona, Spain.
(7) Department of Otolaryngology, Clinica Rotger, Palma de Mallorca , Mallorca, Spain.
(8) Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital Universitario Donostia , San Sebastian, Spain.
(9) Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital Comarcal del Bidasoa , Hondarribia, Spain.
(10) Otolaryngology Unit ORLGipuzkoa, Clínica Quirón Donostia , San Sebastian, Spain.
Data: 1/Out/2015Departamento de Otorrinolaringología [ES]
The application described in this study appears to be accurate and valid, thus allowing calculation of a hearing handicap and assessment of the pure-tone air conduction threshold with iPhone/iPad devices.
To develop and evaluate a newly developed professional, computer-based hearing handicap calculator and a manual hearing sensitivity assessment test for the iPhone and iPad (AudCal).
Multi-center prospective non-randomized validation study. One hundred and ten consecutive adult participants underwent two hearing evaluations, a standard audiometry and a pure-tone air conduction test using AudCal with an iOS device. The hearing handicap calculation accuracy was evaluated comparing AudCal vs a web-based calculator.
Hearing loss was found in 83 and 84 out of 220 standard audiometries and AudCal hearing tests (Cohen's Kappa = 0.89). The mean difference between AudCal and standard audiogram thresholds was -0.21 ± 6.38 dB HL.
Excellent reliability and concordance between standard audiometry and the application's hearing loss assessment test were obtained (Cronbach's alpha = 0.96; intra-class correlation coefficient = 0.93). AudCal vs a web-based calculator were perfectly correlated (Pearson's r = 1).
CITAÇÃO DO ARTIGO Acta Otolaryngol. 2015;135(11):1119-27. doi: 10.3109/00016489.2015.1063786. Epub 2015 Jul 4.
A Clínica é o hospital privado com maiores recursos tecnológicos de Espanha, tudo num único centro.
Os profissionais da Clínica realizam um trabalho contínuo de investigação e formação, sempre em benefício do paciente.
Conheça porque é que somos diferentes em relação a outros centros sanitários. Qualidade, rapidez, comodidade e resultados.