Description of patients excluded for Mohs surgery after pre-surgical evaluation: data from the Regesmohs Spanish registry
Ruiz-Salas V (1), Garcés JR (2), Alonso-Alonso T (3), Rodríguez-Prieto MA (3), Toll-Abelló A (4), Eusebio Murillo E (5), Miñano R (6), López-Estebaranz JL (6), Sanmartín-Jiménez O (7), Guillén Barona C (7), Allende Markixana I (8), Alfaro Rubio A (9), Delgado Jiménez Y (10), Navarro R (11), Barchino Ortiz L (12), Lázaro Ochaita P (12), Vilarasa E (2), Ciudad Blanco C (13), Vázquez-Veiga H (14), Artola Igarza JL (15), Alonso ML (16), García-Doval I (17), Descalzo MA (17), Redondo Bellón P (18).
(1) Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona, España.
(2) Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona, España; Clínica Teknon, Barcelona, España.
(3) Complejo Asistencial Universitario de León, León, España.
(4) Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, España.
(5) Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Guadalajara, Guadalajara, España.
(6) Fundación Hospital de Alcorcón, Madrid, España.
(7) Instituto Valenciano de Oncología, Valencia, España.
(8) Hospital Universitario de Cruces, Barakaldo, España.
(9) Hospital Manises, Valencia, España.
(10) Hospital Universitario Quirón, Madrid, España; Hospital de la Princesa, Madrid, España.
(11) Hospital de la Princesa, Madrid, España.
(12) Hospital la Zarzuela, Madrid, España.
(13) Hospital la Zarzuela, Madrid, España; Hospital Gregorio Marañón, Madrid, España.
(14) Complexo Hospitalario Universitario de Santiago, Santiago, España.
(15) Hospital de Galdakao, Galdakao, España.
(16) Hospital La Paz, Madrid, España.
(17) Research Unit. Fundación Piel Sana, Academia Española de Dermatología y Venereología, Madrid, España.
(18) Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, España.
Regesmohs registry is a nationwide registry including patients evaluated for Mohs surgery in 17 Spanish centres since July 2013. Given that Mohs surgery is the therapy with best results for high risk basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and other skin tumours, we wanted to describe the reasons that lead to some patients being excluded from this therapy and the alternative treatments that they received. These data may be useful to avoid excluding patients for Mohs surgery use, to estimate the healthcare demand of these patients and the demand for Hedgehog inhibitors therapy in this group.
To describe patients excluded for Mohs surgery after pre-surgical assessment, and the treatments that they received.
Regesmohs includes all consecutive patients assessed for Mohs surgery in the participating centres, collecting data on patient characteristics, intervention, and short and long-term results. Patients excluded for Mohs surgery after pre-surgical evaluation were described.
3011 patients were included in Regesmohs from July 2013 to October 2016. In 85, Mohs surgery was not performed as they were considered inadequate candidates. 67 had BCC. Reasons for exclusion were: medical contraindication (27.1%, n=23) low-risk tumour in (18.8%, n=16) and giant tumour and bone invasion (15.3%, n=13). Only 1 patient (1.2%) showed lymph node involvement and no patients had visceral metastases. Of the 85 excluded patients, 29 (34.1%) were treated with conventional surgery, 24 (28.3%) with radiotherapy, 4 (4.7%) with inhibitors of the Hedgehog pathway (only indicated for BCC), and 2 (2.4%) received palliative care. We had no follow-up data on 14 patients (16.5%).
Medical comorbidities were the most common reason for withholding Mohs surgery. Withholding therapy on the basis of distant extension is uncommon. Most excluded patients received simpler therapies: conventional surgery or radiotherapy, with hedgehog inhibitors being a new option.
CITAÇÃO DO ARTIGO Actas Dermosifiliogr. 2018 May;109(4):346-350. doi: 10.1016/j.ad.2017.11.008. Epub 2018 Jan 17
A Clínica é o hospital privado com maiores recursos tecnológicos de Espanha, tudo num único centro.
Os profissionais da Clínica realizam um trabalho contínuo de investigação e formação, sempre em benefício do paciente.
Conheça porque é que somos diferentes em relação a outros centros sanitários. Qualidade, rapidez, comodidade e resultados.