Anisotropic Cryostructured Collagen Scaffolds for Efficient Delivery of RhBMP-2 and Enhanced Bone Regeneration
Stuckensen K (1), Lamo-Espinosa JM (2), Muiños-López E (3), Ripalda-Cemboráin P (2,3), López-Martínez T (3), Iglesias E (3), Abizanda G (3), Andreu I (4), Flandes-Iparraguirre M (4), Pons-Villanueva J (2), Elizalde R (4), Nickel J (5), Ewald A (1), Gbureck U (1), Prósper F (3,6), Groll J (7), Granero-Moltó F (8,9)
(1) Department for Functional Materials in Medicine and Dentistry and Bavarian Polymer Institute, University of Würzburg, D-97070 Würzburg, Germany.
(2) Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, 31008 Pamplona, Spain.
(3) Cell Therapy Area. Clínica Universidad de Navarra, 31008 Pamplona, Spain.
(4) Department of Materials CEIT-TECNUN, Universidad de Navarra, 20018 San Sebastian, Spain.
(5) Department Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, University Hospital Würzburg, D-97070 Würzburg, Germany.
(6) Department of Haematology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, 31008 Pamplona, Spain.
(7) Department for Functional Materials in Medicine and Dentistry and Bavarian Polymer Institute, University of Würzburg, D-97070 Würzburg, Germany.
(8) Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, 31008 Pamplona, Spain.
(9) Cell Therapy Area. Clínica Universidad de Navarra, 31008 Pamplona, Spain.
Data: 24/Set/2019Área de Terapia Celular [ES] Cirurgia Ortopédica e Traumatologia [ES]
In the treatment of bone non-unions, an alternative to bone autografts is the use of bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs), e.g., BMP-2, BMP-7, with powerful osteoinductive and osteogenic properties. In clinical settings, these osteogenic factors are applied using absorbable collagen sponges for local controlled delivery.
Major side effects of this strategy are derived from the supraphysiological doses of BMPs needed, which may induce ectopic bone formation, chronic inflammation, and excessive bone resorption. In order to increase the efficiency of the delivered BMPs, we designed cryostructured collagen scaffolds functionalized with hydroxyapatite, mimicking the structure of cortical bone (aligned porosity, anisotropic) or trabecular bone (random distributed porosity, isotropic).
We hypothesize that an anisotropic structure would enhance the osteoconductive properties of the scaffolds by increasing the regenerative performance of the provided rhBMP-2.
In vitro, both scaffolds presented similar mechanical properties, rhBMP-2 retention and delivery capacity, as well as scaffold degradation time. In vivo, anisotropic scaffolds demonstrated better bone regeneration capabilities in a rat femoral critical-size defect model by increasing the defect bridging. In conclusion, anisotropic cryostructured collagen scaffolds improve bone regeneration by increasing the efficiency of rhBMP-2 mediated bone healing.
CITAÇÃO DO ARTIGO Materials (Basel). 2019 Sep 24;12(19). pii: E3105. doi: 10.3390/ma12193105
A Clínica é o hospital privado com maiores recursos tecnológicos de Espanha, tudo num único centro.
Os profissionais da Clínica realizam um trabalho contínuo de investigação e formação, sempre em benefício do paciente.
Conheça porque é que somos diferentes em relação a outros centros sanitários. Qualidade, rapidez, comodidade e resultados.