Multiple cycles of dose-intensive chemotherapy with repeated stem cell support as induction treatment in metastatic breast cancer: a feasibility study
S. García-Rayo (1), J. Pérez-Calvo (2), S. Martín-Algarra (1,2), R. Martínez-Monge (1), O. Fernández-Hidalgo (1), L. Subirá (3), M. Martínez-Aguillo (1), J. Rebollo (4), I. Azinovic (1) and A. Brugarolas (1)
(1) Oncology Department, Clínica Universitaria de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
(2) Cell Therapy Area, Clínica Universitaria de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
(3) Immunology Department, Clínica Universitaria de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
(4) Oncology Department, Clínica San Miguel, Pamplona, Spain
Revista: Bone Marrow Transplantation
Fecha: 01-ago-2001Oncología Médica Oncología Radioterápica Área de Terapia Celular Área del Cáncer de Mama
The purpose of this trial was to study feasibility and tolerance of a dose-intensive multicyclic alternating induction chemotherapy with repeated stem cell support in a series of 43 metastatic breast cancer patients.
Anthracycline-naive patients (n = 21) received cyclophosphamide 2.5 g/m(2) plus doxorubicin 80 mg/m(2) alternating every 14 days with paclitaxel 200-350 mg/m(2) plus cisplatin 120 mg/m(2). Patients who had previously received anthracyclines (n = 22) received cisplatin 120 mg/m(2) plus etoposide 600 mg/m(2) alternating with paclitaxel 200-350 mg/m(2) plus ifosfamide 8 g/m(2). Peripheral blood stem cells were infused after every course except the first, with a median CD34(+) dose of 2.1 x 10(6)/kg per cycle. Positive selection of CD34(+) cells was performed in good mobilizers. The median number of cycles administered was six (4-8), and the time interval between them was 17 days. Median summation dose intensities (SDI) actually administered for the CA-TP and PE-TI protocol were 4.95 and 4.69, respectively (87% of scheduled SDI). There were 15 complete (35%) and 21 partial responses (49%), for an overall response rate of 84% (95% CI, 73%-95%). Infection or neutropenic fever occurred in 50% of the cycles.
There was one treatment-related death. After a median follow-up of 26 months, the median event-free-survival was 12 months (95% CI: 10-14) and overall survival was 31 months. These high dose-intensity induction treatments seem to be feasible with sequential stem cell support.
CITA DEL ARTÍCULO Bone Marrow Transplant. 2001 Aug;28(3):235-42
tal vezLE INTERESE
La Clínica es el hospital privado con mayor dotación tecnológica de España, todo en un único centro.
Los profesionales de la Clínica realizan una labor continuada de investigación y formación, siempre en beneficio del paciente.
Conozca por qué somos diferentes a otros centros sanitarios. Calidad, rapidez, comodidad y resultados.