Pollensomes as Natural Vehicles for Pollen Allergens
Prado N(1), De Linares C(2), Sanz ML(3), Gamboa P(4), Villalba M(1), Rodríguez R(1), Batanero E(5).
(1) Departamento de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular, Facultad de Química, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain;
(2) Departament de Biologia Animal, Biologia Vegetal i Ecologia, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain;
(3) Departamento de Alergología e Inmunología Clínica, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, 31008 Pamplona, Navarra, Spain; and.
(4) Servicio de Alergia, Hospital Basurto, 48013 Bilbao, Vizcaya, Bizkaia, Spain.
(5) Departamento de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular, Facultad de Química, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain.
Magazine: Journal of Immunology
Date: Jun 3, 2015Allergology and Immunology Department
Olive (Olea europaea) pollen constitutes one of the most important allergen sources in the Mediterranean countries and some areas of the United States, South Africa, and Australia. Recently, we provided evidence that olive pollen releases nanovesicles of respirable size, named generically pollensomes, during in vitro germination.Olive pollensomes contain allergens, such as Ole e 1, Ole e 11, and Ole e 12, suggesting a possible role in allergy.
The aim of this study was to assess the contribution of pollensomes to the allergic reaction. We show that pollensomes exhibit allergenic activity in terms of patients' IgE-binding capacity, human basophil activation, and positive skin reaction in sensitized patients. Furthermore, allergen-containing pollensomes have been isolated from three clinically relevant nonphylogenetically related species: birch (Betula verrucosa), pine (Pinus sylvestris), and ryegrass (Lolium perenne). Most interesting, pollensomes were isolated from aerobiological samples collected with an eight-stage cascade impactor collector, indicating that pollensomes secretion is a naturally occurring phenomenon.
Our findings indicate that pollensomes may represent widespread vehicles for pollen allergens, with potential implications in the allergic reaction.
CITATION J Immunol. 2015 Jun 3. pii: 1500452.
you maybe interested
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.